Food and friendships go a long way!


Those rather cold yet very delectable off- white idlis in her tiffin was the reason for my fondness for this tall and dark but very attractive south Indian girl or her intelligence and top academic position in the class is something I can't be sure of. She was my best friend till class IV. Apart from being inseparable throughout the day, lunch break used to be very special and worth a wait for both of us...her tiffin alternating between white button like idlis and soft brown dosai, the taste and aroma of either of which I have not forgotten till now, used to land in my hands whereas my peas pulao or aloo ka paratha used to be her favorite.

 Surprisingly my favourite non staple still remains idli and dosa and end up eating these two invariably when going out for a quick bite. Wherever I have taken a bite of these two legendary food items, my taste buds instantly go into a throwback mode and start reminiscing that aroma and taste found in my first best friend's tiffin. Having travelled the length and breadth of India, unfortunately that flavour had not been found again.

My best friend's father got transferred and so she left but her momeries and that indelible impact remained. Such impressionable are the  childhood experiences and friends that they leave a life long impact and even shape our personality to a great extent.

In this age of social media when anybody can be found again and reconnected, I tried every permutation and combination to 'search' her but my luck was not favoring me here. Still after almost every 15 days I try to put her name in the search bar but the 'no result' tag breaks my heart yet again.

We make friends throughout our life. School and college friends are special probably because they are made at an age where the tendency to learn and seeking companionship is highest and the experiences that we gain out of these friendships impact our behaviour and pysche for a lifetime. Thankfully I made some wonderful friends later in school and college (although none of them ever carried as scrumptious a tiffin as my first best friend did). Fortunately I remain connected with most of them on a daily basis and it is nothing less than sheer bliss.

College is where friendships start holding new meanings. Suddenly we start spending more and more time with friends than family. I, too, found very close bunch of friends and I can't thank Mark Zuckerberg's messenger for keeping us connected from morning till saying Good night. All of us have moved on in our lives..each of us have different share of responsibilities. Interestingly, we stay in different places-from Dubai to Gurgaon and different parts of NCR to Lucknow, yet we are still able to chat non stop on any topic under the sun just like we used to do in our college days. From asking each other to what is there for lunch to sharing recipes, each day is like going back to college with endless conversations. Inspite of having my hands full, I still long for my first best friend, still try to search her..that first love of pure and pristine Idlis still resides in my taste buds somewhere. May God shower each one of us with loveliest of friends who are there to listen without expectations and always give a shoulder to cry on and needless to say can be the biggest stress busters by making us vent and if they bring along yuyummy food it's a boon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love a la Padman

Freedom - what does it mean to you?

For nature's sake.....